In The Know with Gino: Improv Chattanooga Offering One-Night Drop-In Improv Classes
Signal Mountain, TN – With summer in full swing, it’s the perfect time to explore new hobbies and improve your skills. However, finding the time for an eight-week improv class can be challenging for many individuals. In response to this, IMPROV Chattanooga has joined forces with The Mountain Arts Community Center (MACC) on Signal Mountain to bring you one-night Drop-In Improv classes.
These Drop-In sessions offer a convenient and flexible way to delve into the world of improv. Each workshop lasts for two hours (7pm-9pm) and focuses on a different aspect of improv, catering to various skill levels and interests. Whether you’re an absolute beginner or looking to refine your abilities as a “Bad Guy,” there’s a Drop-In workshop tailored for you.
The cost for each workshop is a mere $15, and participants have the option to reserve their seats in advance or pay at the door. The best part is that 100% of the proceeds from these workshops go toward supporting Improv Chattanooga and the MACC, contributing to the growth and development of the local improv community.
The Drop-In workshops take place exclusively on Tuesdays and Thursdays, offering a range of exciting sessions to choose from. Here’s a glimpse of the current schedule:
- June 20th: “Improv Crash Course: The Absolute Beginner’s Intro to Improv Comedy” – Taught by Steven “Diz” Disbrow. This workshop provides a comprehensive introduction to the rules of Improv Comedy, allowing participants to engage in their first improv games within just two hours.
- June 27th: “Creating Characters Worthy of Love: Get to the Root of What a Character Wants” – Taught by Bethany Morgan. In this workshop, participants will explore the desires that drive characters’ actions in scenes, fostering genuine connections with other characters while delving into the depths of their own.
- July 11th: “Improv For Kids: An Introduction to Improv for Kids Aged 7 to 12” – Taught by Beth Carroll. Geared towards children aged 7 to 12, this workshop offers a fun and engaging introduction to improv. Kids will learn the fundamental rules and play their first improv games in this exciting two-hour session. The workshop fee is just $10.
- July 18th: “Lights! Camera! Improv!: Learn to Improvise an Entire Movie!” – Taught by Steven “Diz” Disbrow. This workshop focuses on the “Movie” Long Form, providing a general overview of the format and delving into its unique aspects. Participants will have the opportunity to put their skills into action by collaboratively creating their own improvised movie in the final 45 minutes of the class.
- June 29th: “The Quiet Storm: Using Silence to Make Meaningful Scenes” – Taught by David M. Sarton. Silence is a powerful tool in acting, yet it is often underutilized in improv. In this workshop, participants will learn how and when to incorporate silence to enhance their scenes and imbue them with greater meaning.
- July 13th: “Improv For Teens: An Introduction to Improv for Teens Aged 13 to 17” – Taught by Beth Carroll. Designed for teenagers interested in theater, acting, or comedy, this special two-hour workshop offers an introduction to improv. Teenagers will learn the rules and engage in their first improv games. The workshop fee is only $10.
- July 20th: “Heightening With Emotions: Get Honest and Take Your Scenes to New Heights” – Taught by Bethany Morgan. This session focuses on the use of emotions to elevate scenes.
For more details on all of the Drop In Classes and to know more about Improv Chattanooga LIVE shows, Classes, Open Houses, and Performances please go to IMPROVCHATTANOOGA.COM and follow them on Instagram and Facebook!