What’s Proper Airplane Etiquette?
Photo by Kenny Eliason on Unsplash
Here’s some good info now that we’re traveling again…
A new poll on travel etiquette asked people what is and ISN’T okay behavior on an airplane.
Here are a few questions they asked, and how people answered …
1. Is it okay to bring your own food on a flight? 94% said yes, even if it’s smelly.
2. Is it okay to take your shoes AND socks off? 90% said NO. So we’ll deal with smelly food, but not smelly feet.
3. Is it socially acceptable to wear pajamas on a plane? 59% said yes.
4. On long flights, is it okay to recline your seat? Most people say yes, but it depends. 38% said go for it … another 52% said only if you ask first… and 11% said no, never. If it’s a shorter flight, 15% said you shouldn’t recline.
5. If you’re next to someone and there’s an empty seat in your row, should you move over? Only 56% said yes.
6. Who gets the two middle armrests? 34% said the person in the middle seat should get both.
7. Is it okay to ask someone to swap seats with you? 78% said yes. But that doesn’t mean they have to.
8. Is it okay to strike up a conversation with the stranger sitting next to you? 65% said yes, and 35% said no. Just don’t expect them to talk to you the entire flight. And if they start reading or put headphones in, that’s your cue to shut up.