25% of Us Lie at Least Once a Day, Plus the Top Signs Someone’s Fibbing
Chattanooga, Tennessee—(Wise Brother)
I wonder if the real number here is higher, and some of these people are just lying . . .
In a new poll, 25% of Americans admit to LYING at least once a day. The other 75% claimed they don’t lie that much.
Men were a little more likely to admit to it . . . 26% compared to 23% of women. Men were also more likely to say they lie MULTIPLE times a day.
The poll didn’t discriminate between small “white lies” and bigger lies. So this includes everything from, “Yes, you look good in those jeans” . . . to “No, I swear I haven’t been drinking, officer.”
Millennials are the biggest liars, according to the survey . . . Gen X and Gen Z are next . . . and Baby Boomers were the least likely to say they lie a lot.
It also looked at the top ways to SPOT a liar. Here are the top five things we think are signs someone’s being untruthful . . .
1. They won’t look you in the eye. 84% think that’s a red flag. 24% think TOO MUCH eye contact can be a sign too.
2. Fidgeting, 63%.
3. They start sweating, 61%.
4. They start talking really fast, 48%. Only 15% think talking too slow is a sign.
5. You notice they’re suddenly blinking a lot, 45%.
Here are a few more things we associate with lying: They start tripping over their words . . . they play with their hair . . . they touch their own face . . . and they start using an odd amount of hand gestures.